. Yarnton Scout Group » Our History

Our History

The group was first registered as 1st Campsfield in 1944 and met in a stable block in Bladen. It then moved to a Nissen Hut on the airfield at Campsfield.

In the early 50’s its home was the old school rooms at Yarnton Manor, later moving to the old British Legion Hall then moving to its present headquarters in 1963. At that time the group had about 20 members.

Building the Hut in 1963 as reported in the Oxford Times

The name was changed from 1st Campsfield when Woodstock District was disbanded and became Yarnton in Isis District. The neckerchief was changed from black and maroon to plain yellow. Now in our 75th year we are in Oxford Spires District and to celebrate our history we are adding black and maroon borders to our yellow neckers.

The Group has grown with the Beaver Colony opening in 2011 and now the group accommodates over 90 young people.

We also host Explorers (Falcon Explorers 14-18) and Network (Notnray Network 18-25) but they are run by Oxford Spires District

Young people first: safeguarding and safety in Scouting

Our commitment to the safety of all our members